Thursday, February 5, 2009

Manhandling

As we moved the mob through the open I see a red heifer shes not like any of the other cows in the group. I knew I'd have to keep and eye on her as we pushed on through the bush. As I'm the head healer of the group its my duty to keep the mob in line and to make sure the trouble makers don't get out of control. This red heifer is like none I'd ever heeled she was a wild thing. I watched her as she crept to the flank of the herd waiting for the time when she would make a break from the mob. Then the moment came she went for it. I got the signal the whistle go off after my feet padding against the ground. She doesn't know I'm coming when i bit into her right hide foot she lets out a bellow. She turns but I'm to quick a hit her again she races back to the mob. When she makes it back I take my place with the mob watching for anymore that try to get away. Then after awhile with my heeling of the red heifer I see that she does take the hint very well. She makes a break for it again I get the signal. I'm off quick like lighting, I bit her hard this time she throws a mean right hoof I duck under. Then bite hard into the left she throws another mean hoof I'm to quick I take her other leg. Then she turns a full run back to the mob. I take chance of her biting at every chance I get. This time she won't for get as this time I have the taste of blood in my mouth. We bring the cows to the corrals. They separate the cows and the calves along with the red heifer. I take my spot in the branding corrals where I wait to here for any signal I'm needed. Then there all separated I go out and watch as one by one the calves are all branded. During this time I see that the red heifer is freaking having a giant fit and shes looking to get out she tries everything from running into the fence going under, but it doesn't work. Then its her turn to be branded she put up a giant fight but in the end she is branded while I lay there a watch. After she is let go she bolts for the fence and somehow managers to make it over the fence see looked like a giant red sea saw when she got over rocking back a forth. The she takes off she will be even more fun next time before she is taken away from here.

1 comment:

  1. You follow the story nicely, and the voice of the heeler is distinct. Good job, Shane.

    ReplyDelete